Integrity- Do our leaders possess one…

Integrity – a simple word which carries deep meaning. The other night, I managed to catch a debate programme which highlighting the importance of integrity among the leaders in Malaysia. The discussion was interesting and thought-provoking. A line of experienced commentators, from academician to politicians were selected to debate on this topic. While watching, I asked my dad, what is the meaning of integrity? Why is it so important for a leader to have this attribute? My dad asked me to keep my mouth shut and listened (the commentators) to what they have to say. “you’ll pick up the meaning on your own”, he said (my dad). So I listened. At first it was a boring discussion, – I actually wanted to watch other programme, indirectly I was forced to watch this debate- but after one comment made by one of the ‘pundits’, I was hooked. He said ‘we can comprehend the meaning of integrity by looking at this example---the fish, although it was surrounded by salted water, it managed to preserve its own flavor, unless you made it as ‘ikan kering’- this shows that even the fish has its integrity. God teaches us by giving this situation for us to think. A person, no matter in what condition he/she is in, he/she should have this “integrity thing”. Interesting. He added, ‘a good leader is a person who can lead by example, by sticking to truthfulness and he should hold firm his integrity”. I nodded, agree.

One audience asked, is it possible for us to find leader like this nowadays, a leader with integrity?. The responses were varied. One said it’s possible if we go back to the fundamental principle of human nature. God creates humans and gives us one valuable “thing”. If this “thing” is clean, we can be a good person but if this “thing” is dirty and polluted, we can be the opposite and the valuable “thing” is called “heart”. It controls our actions, attitudes and our beliefs. If we know how to take care this “thing”, it is not impossible for us to find one good leader with integrity. Another “pundit” said, ‘we have, here in Malaysia. I laughed! So did some of the audiences. Why?? Here is why….

When my state (Johor) was hit with the worst floods ever, only few leaders care enough to come down and extend their hands to help. Others, just said on national tv that “we feel sympathy for the Johoreans, we do care, please be patient”. Now make your own judgment—which one is important; went to Australia for a vacation and to open a new Nasi Kandar restaurant or go down here and help out the victims—more that 100,000 people had been evacuated and more than 10 people had died. Now I sound like a politician! However, on behalf of fellow Johoreans, I would like to thank the Crown Prince of Johor for his concerns and contributions, also to fellow Malaysians who helped the flood victims by donating and praying for our well being. Thanks!

So, after finished watching the programme, I came out with my own definition of integrity—self value that one should possess moreover if you are a leader. So do we have a leader with integrity nowadays??









Comments

sleepwalker said…
My new blog:

http://atoasttolife.blogspot.com

;-)

Popular Posts