Yoga- Don't get emotional

Due to recent hiccups (yoga and pengkid), I think it's my call as a Muslim and as a Malaysian - who believes in equality and freedom to all races and religions in Malaysia- to share my inner thoughts regarding the much discussed issues. It hurts me when the Fatwas were(are) being ridiculed by certain parties and to see how people bickering on what I perceive as small issues. Take Yoga issue for instance. I cannot believe how close-minded certain people are when dealing with this issue. They got all emotional, attacking each other without anyone seems to be wise enough to come up with a solution. I mean, seriously, they are a lot more stuffs that need to be attended rather than fighting about ‘one type of exercise’.

To be honest, if you ask me, whether I think that the fatwa on yoga should be issued or not, I would say no. For me, a Fatwa only need to be issued when a REALLY serious issue/problem occurs and it could affect Muslims –directly or indirectly. A fatwa is a much-respected decree and shouldn’t be used easily to handle such a minor problem. But, when a fatwa is issued, every Muslim should adhere to it, without any protest- whether they like it or not. But like what Dr. Mahathir said, “Whether the Malays (Muslims) follow it or not, that is really their business”. As long as they are not complaining. What National Fatwa Council should do is telling and explaining to the Muslims about this issue first. They shouldn’t jump on the boat directly. Of course it will shock the people especially those who’re lack of knowledge and easily get mislead. Plus, the authority should have more faith on Muslims in Malaysia. They will not easily be influenced to change the religion just by learning Yoga.

Sometimes, I just don’t understand. They are people who always like to criticise every move made by the government. Though I’m not a big supporter of our local government, I choose to be pragmatic when it comes to this. First thing first, I think this issue was/is over-played by the medias- be it the medias who pro with the verdicts or those who're against it. I am also (honestly and sincerely) bewildered with the reactions from the non-Muslims. As far as I know, this fatwa is for Muslims only but we can see that many non-Muslim are against it and at the same time be angry with it. At this point,I have to agree once again to what Tun M has said when he was asked to give comment on this issue.

"KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 25 (Bernama) -- Former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad today urged the relevant parties not to turn the National Fatwa Council's decision to bar Muslims from practising yoga into a religious issue.

"If they (National Fatwa Council) believe it is wrong, then it is wrong. It is unfortunate that other people think that it is a slur on their religion. It is like saying Muslims should not eat pork, and it is not an insult to the Chinese. It is the same when Muslims cannot do yoga. It is not because they are insulting the Hindus.

"It is just that they should not do it. Whether the Malays follow it or not, that is really their business. Other people should not make it a religious issue. Like all other things forbidden among Muslims, it is not an insult to others.

"But people want to make an issue of this. I feel very sorry. Personally, I don't care very much if you stand on your head or stand on your feet. It is not as if by performing yoga you immediately become a non-Muslim."


And what our dearie Prime Minister has to say bout this…
“ Muslims can after all practice the Indian exercise regime, so long as they avoid the meditation and chantings that reflect Hindu philosophy” – for the first time, I agree with him.

Comments

Popular Posts