we need to apologize

‘I’m scared la warda’

‘why?’

‘I was so angry just now and I pulled the student’s ear’

‘I afraid that the parents will come and complain”

I had this conversation with my colleague on our way to punch out the card. I could see from her face that she was nervous. She forced a smile while talking to me. I can understand her feeling. We, teachers always face tough situation like this- our hands are tied. No one wants to protect us. Whatever happen to the students, its our fault. What actually happened to my friend was she subconsciously pulled a student’s ear. I know, she won’t do it on purpose as she knows the consequence. But, we are only human and our patience also have limit. Students nowadays are not like us before. They are rude, stubborn and big-head. To make things worst, they are well aware that they are ‘untouchable’ – so they feel that they can do whatever they want. Us, on the other hand, have to bear with all these with patience. We shall not be angry although they student call names at us, throw to us their wicked look and many more.

Than goodness, the parents didn’t come. Or else she has to trouble herself to give explanation. And seek for forgiveness..

Another story, also a friend of mine. She’s young, pretty and kind. She teaches Maths. She also a soft-spoken person. She hardly scolded her students and most students liked her. One day we were shocked when a parent called our evening supervisor.to complain. He said that his daughter had strained her foot. This ‘situation’ happened because she had to do ear-squatting for countless time. And our shock doubled when he said that she was punished by her maths teacher(the kind, loved teacher). We never expected and when the teacher was confronted, she said she had to punish since the girl hadn’t do any of her work. To make things worst, the girl without any qualm, did another teacher’s work while she was teaching. But the teacher insisted that she never wanted to hurt anyone. She just couldn’t find ways to punish this troubled student. She cannot touch her, so what she could think of only ear-squatting. I, personally know the student as I am her form teacher. I know what kind of students she is.. ‘desperate- for- attention-kind’. And until now I am not fully convinced that the ear-squat had hurt her foot. But my friend, after the accident, had been in remorse state for weeks, she hardly talked to anyone, she became de-motivated, never smiled and had became a passive person. She even had to apologize to the ‘victimized’student. Yes, APOLOGIZE! NOWADAYS, TEACHER HAD TO APOLOGIZE TO HER STUDENT! Damn!

Comments

Popular Posts