We need to reform our system!

Seriously…lately I’ve been posting things which are not directly related to me since I haven’t had the mood to talk bout myself. There’s nothing much to write. Everyday, things go the same for me. I have to deal with different sorts of situations in which eventually makes me realize that life is not always beautiful. Since most of my hours in a day I spend in school, I cannot help myself to write about all the fortunate and unfortunate events that happened in my dearest school.

Yes, schools have re-opened for almost a month now. So, its normal for me and other teachers like me to be extra-ordinary busy handling all the not-suppose-to-be-our-job works.. All the clerical works that wasted most of our precious time. But since the government pays my salary, and as an obedient gov-servant, I’ll do my works with ‘open heart’(though sometimes- and most of the time, I do complain), but so far, I’ve finished all the works assigned – a pat for me. And being a teacher gives me the opportunity to discover a lot of things that happened around me that I’ve never realized before. Things that manage to open my sleepy eyes. Among the things are:-

1) School fees- when the government announced last year that all of the school-fees will be abolished, people especially parents from low-income community were very ecstatic. They praised the so-called good gesture made by the gov. but only few realized that ‘the school-fees’ means RM 9 only. The parents still have to pay the books –fees (RM 130++) and the PIBG (RM 50++). So indirectly, people are being cheated and we teachers became the victims when the parents were in fury when they were told to pay (reality bites!).

2) Well, that’s not the end of it.. Since I am a form teacher, so I have the privilege to know the whole true about my students’ background. Quite surprising when I went through their application form, many or perhaps most of them are from low-income family – an average of household income is RM 600. Now, imagine this, most of the mothers are housewives which means they don’t have any income and they depend solely on their husbands’ money and they have 4 to 5 children. If 1 child, they need to pay around RM 180, then they need to fork out about …more than RM 600 ( I choose not to count) only for the school fees! No wonder the parents are complaining!

3) Thirdly, I also found out that family institution plays a vital role in shaping students’ behaviour and attitude. Quite a number of my students comes from broken family and most of them have discipline problems which eventually provoked me to become a monster – since I have to scold them most of the time..

4) Next, it seems that we have serious problems with our education system. Half of the students from remove class cannot converse in our national language and even worse are not able to identify the roman alphabets at all! They can’t even spell their parents’ name! I wonder what did they learn in their primary school...........

Actually there are so many other things that I have discovered after becoming a teacher for almost a year now. I do enjoy to educate people but at the same time I’m disappointed with the system. Please, buck up!

Comments

Popular Posts